This Greasemonkey script enables a small popup containing the post content of preview lines when browsing Shacknews comments.
- Compact comment display, without clicking or scrolling
- Integrated reply box - no more misreplies
- Works in both main comment and individual thread pages
To see a preview of what the message popup looks like, click here.
- You'll need Firefox, preferably the latest version(s)
- Install the latest version of Greasemonkey for Firefox
- Click on this link and select Install
Be sure to play around with the script options to customize it to your liking! Tools > Greasemonkey > User Script Commands...
The new Shacknews design has made my previous efforts nearly useless, but my love for this feature has brought me back for more coding. I've had to rework a lot of the old script and so you'll notice many 'features' have been trashed. To be honest some don't even make sense porting to the new design (popup on reply number, for example). I do have a nice sized to-do list for improving the script for user customization, which should provide some fun (*gun*).
Diego Benavides [ ieGod ]
Dive Into Greasemonkey
Invaluable reference when working with Greasemonkey.
Lots of feedback and discussions.
Version History (0.9.5)
- Added: Post preview with Shacktag support.
- Changed: Popup width adjusts to fit within screen window.
- Changed: Changed handling of event listeners. Speed should be improved.
- Changed: New Shacknews design destroyed the script. Fixed.
- Added: Individual thread browsing functionality.
- Added: Built in reply.
- Changed: GM 0.6.4 broke my script... fixed now.
- Added: GM 0.6.x support.
- Added: Tracking mode allows the popup to follow the mouse.
- Added: Long awaited reply button. I should have done this sooner.
- Changed: First time load will cause the page to refresh.
- Added: Automatically sets popup cookie
- Changed: Updated functions to work with Greasemonkey 0.5.3
- Added: Runtime benchmarking (Firefox only)
- Added: Popup over reply # may be toggled on/off
- Changed: Author line now displays shackmessage and mercury icons
- Changed: Since IE sucks, I had to modify the author/post stripping
- Changed: dSupport: data no longer fetched using xmlhttprequest
- Changed: Popup element inserted once, display enabled/disabled
- Added: IE6 compatibility (using Turnabout)
- Changed: Tweaked position correction handling
- Changed: Improved addGlobalStyle, now IE6 compatible
- Changed: Data fetched using xmlhttprequest, not GM_xmlhttprequest
- Added: Extended display for posts exceeding display area
- Added: Position correction near screen bottom
- Changed: Large posts produce display warning by default
- Changed: Popup position no longer dependent on addGlobalStyle()
- Added: Toggle persistence option
- Added: Close popup link
- Changed: Links display as compact version
- Changed: Popup style handling updated
- Code and release